Any recipe I post here has been tried and tested by yours truely. I pull the recipes from cookbooks,
websites, friends or family. Credit will be given where credit is due; nevertheless, I will add in my own
comments and modifications.
Let the adventures begin! Try not to burn yourself.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Coconut Sticky Rice with Mango

I promise I'll get a new camera soon!
What you will need:

1 cup Jasmine rice
1 3/4 cup water
1 can coconut milk (I use the full fat kind)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp shredded coconut, 1/4 cup shredded coconut for toasting

What you will do:

Put your cup of Jasmine rice into a bowl and cover it with 1 cup of cold water. Let the rice soak for 30 minutes. This is important, do not skip this step!

While the rice is soaking; combine 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 cup of coconut milk in a bowl and set aside. Mix well.

After the rice has soaked; add 3/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of coconut milk and 1 Tbsp shredded coconut and put it all in a saucepan. Bring everything to a simmer on medium heat and then cook for 15 minutes on low heat with the lid on.

Keep the lid on the rice for the entire 15 minutes so you don't lose any moisture. Once the rice has cooked, fluff it with a fork and stir in the coconut milk mixture you set aside in the second step. Pour in half of the coconut milk mixture and stir, then pour the other half of the mixture in a stir. Let the rice sit for 15 minutes.



Let the rice stand for 15 minutes

Once the rice has thickened, you can scoop it out with a spoon onto a plate and surround it with diced mango. It will be sticky enough for you to shape it into a little dome in the center of the plate.

Using a small, dry frying pan, toast the shredded coconut on low to medium heat until it is slightly browned. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the sticky rice and mango and serve warm.

**I found this recipe a couple of years ago on a YouTube video. I wrote it out by memory so it may not be exactly the same as the original. If I find the video I will post a link to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment