Any recipe I post here has been tried and tested by yours truely. I pull the recipes from cookbooks,
websites, friends or family. Credit will be given where credit is due; nevertheless, I will add in my own
comments and modifications.
Let the adventures begin! Try not to burn yourself.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Sort-of Waldorf Salad

     This is a "sort-of" Waldorf salad because it uses two ingredients that are normally found in a traditional Waldorf: apples, and walnuts. Instead of using yogurt or mayonnaise for my dressing I made my own with apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and grated apple. I have made this salad more than any other and I can't get enough of its complimentary tastes and textures. I hope you'll like it as much as I do!




1 small gala apple
1/4 cup walnut halves or chopped walnuts
spinach leaves, rinsed with the stems removed
red tipped lettuce, two to three leaves rinsed with spine removed
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
juice of 1/2 small lemon
1 tsp honey

Core and slice the apple into 4ths, reserving 1/4 of the apple to grate into the dressing. Chop the remaining 3/4 of the apple into small cubes.

I like to shell the walnuts myself. Pre-shelled walnuts can be just as yummy too. Set aside the amount of walnuts you want to use in your salad.

Tear your spinach and red tipped lettuce into bite sized pieces and toss together in a large bowl. Do not chop them with a knife, this will damage the leaves giving them a wet or wilted appearance.

Sprinkle the cubed apple and walnuts over the spinach and lettuce in the large bowl.

Combine the apple cider vinegar and olive oil in a small bowl. Grate 1/4 of the apple with a cheese grater and add the grated apple to the oil and vinegar mixture.

Add the honey to the oil, vinegar and grated apple. Grind as much pepper as you would like into the dressing and then stir together all ingredients until they are mixed well.

Pour the dressing over the salad and then squeeze 1/2 of a small lemon over the salad. Toss together and enjoy!

Want to make a true Waldorf Salad? Follow this link: http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/waldorf_salad/

No comments:

Post a Comment